Pages

Life adventures through weight loss/maintenance

Monday, April 19, 2010

I love my Ikea kids plastic cultery!

I seriously love my at work cutlery I bought. These aren't new, I've had them since I started my full time job back in November. I just thought with all my recent mania and stress with the layoffs, that I would start with something that makes me smile every time I eat at work.

I got them from the kids section at Ikea. a 12pc set for 1.99$. Can't beat that. They come in 5 different colours. These are my 3 fav colours of the 5 (the two others are dark blue and light blue).
Check out the fun faces on the ends.
So I woke up this morning at 7am. My alarm had been going off since 6:54, and I thought no way I was getting up to go for the 10k bike ride and 4-5k run this morning. Kevin and I stayed up way too late last night (mid-night thirty). But when that clock hit 7am, I was suddenly awake for the day.

I rolled over and asked Kevin if he was still up to coming with me to support me through the stressful morning I was about to face. Sadly he was not. Yesterday Kevin grouted my parents bathroom floor and now his lower back is all knotted up. So I ventured out on my own.

I did about 11K in 38 minutes. I got back home, switched out my bike helmet for baseball hat, and headed out to run (amongst all the teens going to school for the day).

Wow, my legs were like jelly. This was the first time there had been such a short period between getting off the bike and starting to run. Normally when I do it at the gym, we cool down after spin class cycling slowly as we stretch, then another 5 mins after that before I make it to the treadmill.

Can you say brick! Brick is what they call the transition between biking and running during a triathlon, because your legs feel like they are bricks, heavy.
I very quickly realized that my endurance was compromised as a result of the biking and having not consistently gone to the gym last week like I usually do. So I guestimate that I ran 1.5k.

While I drive home tonight I will clock it in my car.

I got home and knew that I needed to eat something. I didn't want to eat. My stomach felt sick. The gross kind of gut rot feeling you get after a night of drinking sweet drinks, or for those of us who work shift work, like after working an overnight.

But I made myself eat. I had to. I had a good 45 mins ahead of myself for sitting around and waiting to see if my phone would ring.
It doesn't look the prettiest, but it was so good.
  • 1/3 cup oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 1 tbsp almond butter
  • 1/2tbsp goji berries
  • 1 tbsp dried blueberries
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds.

In my humble opinion it's the nut butter that completes this meal. I honestly don't know how I ate oatmeal before discovering PB in oatmeal.

So I sat and waited. For those that don't know, I got to sit by my phone this morning to see if I got a call telling me that I was being laid off (from my P.T. job).


I didn't think that HR and my ED would notify everyone within 45 minutes, so I was ready to sit till 9:30am.


I txted and bbmed a couple of girlfriends from work while we sat anxiously. Slowly we'd hear from other people names of social workers, secretary, legal assistants and even a director who had been given layoff notice.

I then decided to call my program assistant to see what she knew being at the office. She had heard nothing yet. That no one from my department had been given notice. That our program director had been in and out of meetings all morning, but no news.


Come 9:40, I knew I needed to go shower (esp after the workout). I told my friends I would have the cell and house phone on the counter in the w/r just in case.


At 10:30, I had gotten word that our ED had emailed everyone telling them everyone who was going to be given notice had been contacted and the lay off procedure for the day was over.


*phew* safe . . . . . For now. I work for a union. This means now that the people who have been given notice (with the exception of the director - who isn't part of the union) has 2 days to bump someone with less seniority.


So I am not 100% safe, yet. I think that this whole bumping process could take up to a month. So May 19th is the safe date.


So keep going to work Tuesday & Wednesday nights as usual and every other Saturday.


Off to my day job (which is funded by the board of education, and funding runs out June 30th Yipes!)


At work I started to eat a grapefruit, though wasn't keen on the amount of work it entailed today, so I quit after eating half. Mind you it was almost lunch time too. My handy peeler in action! For lunch, I threw together a salad. Sadly I haven't made myself a weekly meal plan yet. Though I need to otherwise I will be eating crapola this week and I don't want that. This is my first week back to healthy eating habits.

  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 4 strawberries
  • 1/4 cup almonds
  • 1/8th avocado
  • 3 artichoke hearts
  • homemade balsamic dressing

Back to work. Ugh sadness. It's so nice out. If I was a smoker I'd be outside more often throughout the day to get some 'fresh' air.

For snack, I mixed these 3 ingredients together.

  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/3 cup grape nuts cereal
  • 1, 100g container Blueberry Pom organic yogurt

Turned out so nicely. It's a nice change from all bran buds.

Question: Do you have something at work that makes you smile through the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails