Pages

Life adventures through weight loss/maintenance

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What I love about food

I love to cook. When I was finishing high school and had already been accepted into the collage course I took, I panicked. I thought I was doing the wrong thing. That I should have gone to school to become a chef. My boyfriend, now husband, reassured me that I was going to school for something else I loved.

I love to cook, to learn new techniques, and to create new dishes.

It's been 6 years since I finished school, and I started working in the field of social work 7 years ago. I still have the same part time casual job that was my first 7 years ago, and I really like working there.

But do I love my other jobs? No. I have never had a full time job that I loved and could see myself staying at for many years and make it a career.

I still think that cooking could have been lots of fun, but the hours are just not for me. I have a friend who is a chef, and he tells me, that it's great that I am passionate about cooking, but keep it a hobby not a job. I've stuck to that advice.

Last night for dinner I introduced Kevin to spaghetti squash.

He was hesitant. I reassured him telling him that if he didn't like it I would boil up some regular pasta noodles for him. This made him feel safe enough to try it.
Spaghetti Squash (serves 2)
  • 1 spaghetti squash
  • 1 cup broccoli
  • 1 cup cauliflower
  • 14 baby carrots
  • 1/2 zucchini
  • 8 mushrooms (1/4ed)
  • red onion
  • 1-2 celery stalks
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • 1/2 tomato
  • 1/2 cup pasta sauce.

Directions

  1. Cook your spaghetti squash according to the directions on the sticker on the squash.
  2. In a sauce pan, saute your onion and celery.
  3. After the onions start to soften add carrots, red pepper and cauliflower. Saute several minutes until they start to soften.
  4. Add broccoli and zucchini. Saute 2 minutes.
  5. Add mushrooms and tomato last.
  6. Pour the pasta sauce over the veggies. The extra moisture from the veggies will thin the sauce and make it cover everything.
  7. Scraped out the spaghetti squash with a fork and plate like pasta noodles.
  8. Top veggies and sauce over the squash.
  9. ENJOY!

At 9pm I realized that I did not have any produce, veggies or fruit. This makes it very difficult to make my meals for work for Tuesday. So I went out to the grocery store. 124$ later, produce and other odds and ends replenished.


Question:
What new and exciting foods have you tried? Where did you discover the recipes?
I discovered spaghetti squash thanks to Longmom on MFP less than 60 days ago. I have since had it 3 times.


p.s. I got a call back from the director of HR yesterday at 4pm. When I asked her if I didn't have a meeting today but would have one another day, she said no I was safe and wouldn't be called in for another meeting at a later date. That means I don't get laid off, I don't get bumped from my shifts, everything stays the same for me. Sadly I can't say the same for my co-worker
The Fitness Ninja. So I then clarified with the director of HR, that they then just made a mistake and should have never called me in the first place. She said yes, this was the case. She then apologized saying she hope she didn't ruin my day causing me stress.


For me on the journey of layoffs and bumping, this chapter seems to be closed *sigh*.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails